Looking after your home heating
20 April 2022
Gas is a great option for staying warm and cosy over winter. Gas is instant, reliable, and efficient. Gas is also safe if appliances are properly installed and regularly serviced.
Be sure to get all gas appliances in your home serviced annually but check with the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific appliance. It’s also a good idea to do it before the busy winter season.
Use only an authorised gasfitter to carry out the work. It’s illegal (and dangerous) for anyone else to do it and you could also invalidate your home insurance.
Once the appliance has been serviced and is safe to use, your gasfitter will supply you with a gas safety certificate.
Regular servicing will mean your appliances remain in a safe working condition and maintain peak performance to ensure the best economical running.
Heating a new home
If you’re embarking on a new home build and wondering about the heating options, your Master Plumber or Master Gasfitter can help with ideas to suit your home and budget.
Gas-fired heating is one way to go. Gas provides fast, convenient, and controllable heat.
Some benefits of a gas heater are:
- Appliances endorsed by Sensitive Choice of the Asthma Foundation provide allergy and asthma sufferers with better air quality for easier breathing
- Convenient and easily controlled heat, many with thermostat control
- Rooms are heated quickly
- Natural gas heating is often cheaper than heating solely using electricity.
A gas fire provides the added benefits of:
- A cosy ambience – visually stunning - the heart and feature of the home
- Compared to electric heat pumps gas flame effect fires provide heat with soul plus the more comfortable radiant heat
- In comparison to a wood fire, there’s no need to store firewood and you don’t get the mess and dust from firewood or the requirement to annually clean out a chimney
- Across all gas appliances (water, heating, and cooking), gas is quick and easy and therefore also very convenient.
- There’s no need to have a heat pump mounted on the wall of your living area
- A choice of natural gas piped from the street if available or bottled LPG delivered to your home