Is your plumbing job essential?
20 August 2021
With New Zealand currently in COVID-19 Alert Level 4 lockdown, you may be wondering what plumbing, gas and drainage jobs you can get done around the home.
The answer is: very few!
Is it urgent?
Whilst any renovation work will need to go on hold for now, you can still phone your local Master Plumber, Gasfitter or Drainlayer if you experience a major water leak, a gas leak, sewerage issues or if your hot water packs up.
In other words, plumbers can still carry out essential work to address immediate health or safety risks.
So, if your gas hob stops working, and there's no immediate danger, ask yourself if you can get by without it for now. If you have absolutely no other cooking options, then it’s OK to call on a gasfitter.
The COVID-19 Delta variant is particularly infectious, so we must all be doing everything we can to limit contact with those outside our immediate bubble.
If you do have a plumbing, drainage or gas emergency, there are a few things to be aware of before work begins.
- The tradesperson will want to know whether you and all others in your household are well before they come to your home.
- Let your tradesperson know if you have a vulnerable person living at home. Work should be able to continue but you will need to have a plan in place to make sure this person is safe.
- Discuss what work you need done by phone/email/video conferencing before the tradesperson visits to limit contact.
- If at all possible, stay in another room while the work is underway. If you must be in the same room, remain at least 2m away from the tradesperson at all times and wear a face covering.
- Expect your tradesperson to be wearing full PPE: coveralls, mask, goggles, gloves etc.
- Your tradesperson will take extra steps around cleaning the area before they leave.
There’s more information about what to expect from your tradesperson in the COVID-19 Alert Levels HERE.
Use our online search facility to find your nearest Master Plumber, Gasfitter or Drainlayer.